4.11.2005

urban archeology

i called this post urban archeology because last night i took inventory of all the cool(!) things i have thus far excavated from our yard.

a watch
various sizes of (rusty) knife blades
hedge shears (rusted open)
a (rusty) pitchfork
a (rusty) metal rake
various (rusty) metal rods
wire cutters (also rusted open)
yards of (rusty) wire mesh
heavy gauge chain (also rusty)
many tennis balls
a sardine tin
pottery shards
tons of glass shards
10 (or so) really cool glass (mostly old liquor) bottles and jars
studded leather cuff (not joking)

one of the bottles i found is now on my desk filled with grape hyacinths (muscari armeniacum) found scattered around the yard. they smell delicious.

i have always lamented that i had no idea about urban and industrial archeology when i was in college, else i would have pursued it. who needs a degree, i can excavate my own yard!
i spent most of the weekend in the yard, save for multiple trips back and forth to lowes and sundry other places.

i am not keen to go to lowes, for many reasons: it’s far away, it’s really crowded, the employees are clueless, and, did i mention that it’s really crowded and far away. i would much rather patronize a local hardware store, of which there are at least three in CHO; two of them are in my ‘hood. so what is the problem, you ask? well the problem is that they are never open. the two in my hood close at 5 pm on weekdays, at 12 on saturdays, closed on sundays! fine, sundays i can understand - people need a day off and sunday is a great day to have off. but seriously, people, closing at 5 pm on weekdays and 12 on a saturday? on weekdays i can’t even get home from work and get a project started before 5. on saturdays they aren’t even giving me time to get up, get breakfast and begin my projects. how do i know what last minute additions i need by noon? what if i need an extra bag of soil at 2 pm? what if my shovel breaks? what if i want to buy a new drill? i simply say that i am being forced to patronize lowes! what choice do i have? i needed fasteners, hinges and a latch for my compost bin on saturday afternoon and on sunday i needed a large terra cotta pot and soil to transplant a rose bush. my hands are tied!

my revelation yesterday was that i was meant to live in my house on booker street. in case it hasn’t been clear in prior posts, I LOVE CLEMATIS. varieties of vines, in general, are my favorite garden plants, but clematis are one of my favorite of the vines. there are clematis ALL OVER our yard - i would venture to say that there are close to 50 different original plants, and each plant has tens of vines. the cary’s planted them everywhere, randomly. i can hardly keep up with them! i have some major transplanting to do!

i did transplant a rose bush - we have 5 or so - that was in the compost bin spot. it’s now on my porch. i hope it weathers the shock of transplanting.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home